Tips on Trying to Conceive
There are several things you can do to improve your fertility when trying to conceive. These tips will also help you improve your chances of success with fertility treatments.
- Stop smoking before trying to conceive. Smoking decreases your fertility.
- Drink fewer than four drinks of alcohol per week. a recent study found that for men or women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF), drinking four or more drinks per week prior to an IVF cycle was associated with a 48 percent higher risk for failed fertilization and a 21 percent lower chance for a live birth.
- Get your vaccinations up to date before trying to conceive.
- Get chronic medical conditions such as asthma or diabetes under control.
- Achieve or maintain a healthy weight. Studies have shown that being overweight or obese can affect your fertility and your chances of success with IVF.
- Start or continue an exercise routine to stay physically fit and keep your weight under control.
- Try to reduce stress.
- Stop taking hormonal forms of birth control several months before trying to conceive.
- Eat a low-fat diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and take a prenatal vitamin to make sure you are getting plenty of folic acid.
If you follow these tips, your body will be in tip-top shape for trying to conceive whether it is naturally or with infertility treatments.