By swebb on Thursday, 23 February 2017
Category: Dr. Sanaz Ghazal

OB/GYN or Infertility Specialist: Who is Best for You?

If you’re frustrated that you’re not getting pregnant, you may be wondering about your next step. Should you make an appointment with a gynecologist, or is it appropriate to seek the advice of an infertility specialist, especially a board-certified in reproductive endocrinologist?

At HRC Fertility, we work with obstetrician/gynecologists (OB/GYNs) who refer patients to us. Many are experienced in providing first-step infertility treatment such as ovulation induction with oral or injectable medications that may be combined with intrauterine inseminations. They have the staff and expertise to successful guide patients who have been diagnosed with mild endometriosis, problems with ovulation, mild male factor infertility and cervical factor infertility.

If you are confused about the best choice, here are some guidelines to help you make your decision.

You have not been under the care of a gynecologist

If you’ve never been pregnant before, you may never have seen an OB/GYN. If you are in this category, then it may make sense to first see an infertility specialist.

A diagnosis or have a family history of a PCOS or endometriosis

Having a known diagnosis that could impede your ability to get pregnant is an indication that you should see a specialist.

Older, first-time prospective mom

The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), the national professional society for reproductive medicine, strongly advises women 35 years and older to seek help after six months of trying to conceive. They advise women 40 years and older to not try more than three months before seeing a specialist.

Health insurance requirements

Your insurance carrier may require you to see an OB/GYN before a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist.

Your want a second opinion

Even if you adore your OB/GYN, it never hurts to get a second opinion if you are feeling stuck in your treatment plan. Or it may be time to simply move on to more advanced treatment.

You know that you need assisted reproductive technology (IVF)

If you or your partner have been diagnosed with total tubal blockage, severe male infertility or have a genetic condition, you will need to receive care from a practice that has the ability to offer advanced reproductive technologies like IVF and other high tech procedures.

Your OB/GYN wants to refer you to a specialist

Your OB/GYN may be the one who decides it’s time and in your best interest to refer you to a specialist. Of course, he or she wants you to come back to their practice pregnant!