Ask A Physician

1-866-HRC-4IVF (472-4483)

Schedule an Appointment

En Español   中文服务

  2. Male Infertility
  3. Thursday, 07 August 2014
  4.  Subscribe via email
My husband and I have been trying to conceive naturally for 16 months. He was just diagnosed with abnormal morphological semen. We have a healthy 4 year old that was conceived naturally within 2 months of trying. I have a few concerns before we start to discuss our future plans for conception. What is our next step in our journey(what type of specialist)? Is this something that is permanent or can be altered with lifestyle changes? Do we need to discuss fertility options and if so financially what amount should we aim to save?
Accepted Answer
DrSills Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Thank you for your note. If you have been trying to conceive for over a year, then I would agree that it's time to seek a medical evaluation. My advice is to "cut to the chase" and meet with a reproductive endocrinologist as your first step. There are a lot of factors to consider as a treatment plan is developed, so you will need to let your physician gather sufficient facts before proposing an attack plan. In my practice, most patients do not want to wast more time. Low-tech treatments like IUI might work for you, but the success rate may not exceed 20% per cycle. That number is not good enough for many infertility patients. But as you might expect, the more advanced treatments like IVF, ICSI, and PGD bring a much higher pregnancy rate. Either way, we can help. Please let me know if you have further questions.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Male Infertility
  3. # Permalink
Responses (1)

There are replies in this post but you are not allowed to view the replies from this post.